Missive:

I'm commited to working in this blog. In sharing the adventures I have as I venture into art, craft, life and healing from the deep scars of severe depression. I'm happy you're here looking and sharing in what is my small world.



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Domesticated Jen

Yesterday while I worked, I went on a serious domestic spree. I put bread in the bread machine, soup on the pot and some cheesy zucchini in the oven. The results were wonderful!

The soup is one of my mom’s standbys. Super easy and very yummy. I made some adaptions and I’ll post that recipe here.

Chicken and Rice Soup, adapted for a small family:

Three frozen chicken thighs

4 cups water

3 carrots

3 green onions

1/2 cup brown rice (mom uses white, I went with brown for more fiber)

1 1/4 cup more water OR chicken stock if you have it on hand

1 bullion cube or a glop of “Better than broth” chicken broth concentrate. We always use the kind that is MSG free.

salt and pepper to taste

Put the frozen chicken in the water and bring it up to a boil. Boil it until done then skim the fat and foam off the water, pick the chicken off the bones and throw away the bones and skin. Put the chicken back into the pot.

Add to the pot the carrots diced up and the onions along with the brown rice, additional water and bouillon cube. Let this all simmer until the rice is tender, the carrots are done. Salt and pepper to taste. This makes enough for two people to have two big bowls.

The trick to the soup is that the rice will continue to get softer..soaking up more and more of the water so you really don’t want to many left overs! if you do end up with them…it will be a chicken and rice…thing. With no broth. Yummy but not the same!

stuff 016

For the bread I used this recipe: Honey of an Oatmeal Bread

I used one commenters suggestion and went with 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 bread flour. Yum. I’ve made this bread before with all plain white flour though and I do think I like it better….but the wheat is definitely tasty and dense. Made awesome breakfast toast this morning with strawberry jam!

stuff 015

The cheesy zucchini bake….okay. I couldn’t find ANY zucchini at my local grocery. How horrible is that? HELLO! It’s zucchini season! And the summer squash I did find was…less than stellar to say the least. But I went ahead with it anyway using the recipe I posted in my last post. It was tasty but very…very….VERY cheesy. I ate one helping of it and the rest is in the fridge I’ll have some for lunch. (With left over rice/no longer soup).

stuff 017

oh so yellow yellow squash….

And since I’m way off on the 30 day photo challenge, I’m going to post haphazardly until I can get caught up!

Somebody I love:

stuff 018

Val 033

(This is an older picture but I don’t have my camera back yet!)

Technology:

Val 009

vs.

stuff 011

(My work station)

1 comment: